The Issues and Advocacy Committee:
- Helps to shape policy for the national organization and advocates on the basis of these policies
- Works to inform the membership about issues concerning the environment, health, equality and social justice
- Takes action on issues in the surrounding community
Our Committee is an integral part of CFUW and the chair of the committee sits on the CFUW executive.
Members of the Issues and Advocacy Committee are interested in understanding local and international issues and in helping to effect positive change. We fulfill this mandate through our work on Resolutions sent to us from CFUW National and also through taking action on issues within our surrounding community.
Our work on the Issues and Advocacy Committee involves research and continuous learning while at the same time, we find ourselves developing a bond with an interesting and caring group of women.
Yellow Brick House
In addition to our work on CFUW Resolutions, we take action on issues within the greater community. In support of Yellow Brick House and the work that’s done there for women and children who are fleeing violence, we collect member donations of needed items.
Donations from the Yellow Brick House Wish List are collected at the October, January, February and March general meetings.
Recently we have focused on creating awareness of:
- The ongoing presence in our community (and others) of violence against women and children.
- The importance of protecting not only the nearby Oak Ridges Moraine but also the entire Ontario Greenbelt of which the Moraine is a part.
Speakers at the club’s monthly general meetings are often chosen to reflect Resolution issues and/or our concerns locally. For a list of speakers for this club year, consult the Meeting and Events Schedule.
We meet on the fourth Thursday of every month.
Please join us!
(Or come for a visit to see what we’re all about.)